In case of some problems with accessing websites, you might be recommended to change the DNS server. To do this, you can use OpenDNS, Cloudflare DNS or Google DNS. If the reason why a website is down is about your ISP’s DNS server (for example, it is down or overloaded), it will help.
The abbreviation DNS stands for “domain name system”.
What is Google DNS?
Google Public DNS is a domain name system which can be used by any internet user worldwide. It works as a recursive name server that receives data from authoritative name servers to respond to a big quantity of DNS queries. Google DNS is considered to be the largest public DNS service in the world, which allows to connect faster and more securely across the domain name system.
IP addresses of Google DNS
188.8.131.52 and 184.108.40.206 are the primary IP addresses of Google DNS, which are available to anyone. When a user changes DNS settings to these IP addresses, he or she access Google’s domain name system service. As a result, it becomes possible to access their fast speeds and security.
How to switch to Google DNS?
To use Google DNS you should follow the instructions depending on the operational system of your device.
Change to Google DNS for Windows 10
- Click “Start”. Type “Ethernet” in the search bar to open “Ethernet Settings” as the next step.
- Find “Related Settings” and select “Change Adapter Options”.
- Right-click the appropriate Ethernet or Wi-Fi connection and select the “Properties” option.
- Choose the “Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)”.
- Leave a checkmark in the default box “Obtain an IP address automatically” but check the box “Use the following DNS server addresses” below.
- Enter 220.127.116.11 and 18.104.22.168 addresses in the fields “Preferred DNS server” and “Alternate DNS server”.
- Click on the button “Ok”.
Change to Google DNS for macOS
- Select the “System Preferences” within the Apple menu.
- Click the “Network” icon.
- Choose the appropriate internet connection (f.e. Wi-Fi) and select the option “Advanced”.
If you are going to make some changes, don’t forget to click the lock in the lower left corner.
- After the menu bar has opened, you should choose the “DNS” tab.
- Find the plus sign in the lower left corner and click it.
- Add both 22.214.171.124 and 126.96.36.199 addresses. Click “Ok” to confirm the action.
Now you know how to set Google DNS, but if you still have some questions, write them down below.